Tuesday 24 February 2009

An insight?

Hah! I finally found the 'want' to write something for today. It's been a really productive day. Had class in the morning at 10am. We all met in the class and were supposed to present our briefs and findings. But then, it is still like before. People tend to take advantage of time and get reckless. I'm not saying that i did good but i think everyone should start bucking up no? I mean, we're moving into a stage where REALITY would just jump at us! It is scary, i'm telling you. Very. Be very very scared.

Hahaha freaking out won't do us any good though. A day or so ago, i felt so bad. Cause i haven't been doing anything and slacked quite a bit. Hehe knowing that I SHOULD be doing something, and am not just cracks the world. But alhamdulillah, I'm alright now. Right on track insyaAllah.

So today went off with a slow start. So then i discussed my brief with my lecturer. We talked and talked till it was lunch time. Oh by the way, this time around I'll be doing a brief on O2, the telecommunication company. They are mostly based in Europe. Called Telefonica O2 so far as i know. But nevertheless, more research needs doing!

At about 1pm, Bal Nandra who's one of my tutors as well organised a forum for L5 (year 2) students to get together and get into discussion on the course. There was much we could say. And Veronika, my classmate DID say alot of things. I understand where she's coming from. Her thoughts are the same as me as well. But knowing that, lecturers and administration officers can't fight a politician's war, made me think whether it was worth going through all the mind choking discussion.

Nevertheless, i think there were a few things Birmingham City University needed to do. I thought the resources were really out of place. Like what Bal said, the Uni is not a vocational or technical college. I agree. But then there are other things where they can help us out with. Like getting speakers to come in and speak to us. He said there was a really influential speaker who came in last week. HOW COME I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT IT?

Cause the University is implementing the MOODLE system. An online database which is supposed to sync all the staff and students. Apparently ever since it got into play, it's been worse hahaha. I dare not say more but really. I was really dissapointed I missed the talk last week. And thinking that i didn't have ANYTHING to do ANYWAY?

Oh alright. Stop complaining. Well i'd be. When i'm paying about 10,000 quid on the fees..? I suppose it hurts papa more. Re-paying is the one thing that sticks on my mind. And of course, NOT easy. hehe. soon soon. It'll be the day that degree rolls out in front of him and mama. :)

So yes, back to reality. Went off to help Sneha get her bus pass back from Perry Barr. Had dinner at Latifs. Which i keep forgetting the name. Cause before, they were called Al Ehya. Which i found was a much easier name to remember? hehe. Anywho, came home and slept! haha. I just had to take a nap. Felt like i was falling sick. Changed clothes and poof. On the bed. Set the alarm for about an hour or so.. and went snoozing.

spent about three to four hours doing some research and rewriting the BRIEF i chose. It's really not easy ok? hehe.

Oh yeah, after the forum at 1pm, we had a talk by Andy Muhail Fulga. An MA Student here in BCU and also a practicing graphic designer. He was a junior art director for about two years. He's given us alot of tips and tricks in tackling briefs. It's quite interesting that simplicity and plain ASKING is what it takes to extract the essence of the brief.

Putting it simply, when a client comes to an agency/designer, they come with a PROBLEM. Now, we take it to the table and find a SOLUTION. Implement it and voila! Though, in real life, it's more than just two sentences of words. hahaha!

Right after that, I went around campus looking for David Miles, my Art Direction module coordinator to get my results. I obtained a 74% for the Art Direction Module. Me and my team managed to score one of the highest marks in the magazine design. :) great job!

Before that, i met with Abg Hariri and Kak Noohayati (perhaps she'd prefer me call her kak yati or hayati or perhaps something else). They were PhD students in University of Central England as many would've remembered. Now they're back to finish up Kak Yati's PhD Viva. Best of luck to her! She's now the current Head of School for Multimedia in Limkokwing. It truly was a pleasure to have met them. We exchanged numbers and emails. For future contact ;) hehe.

SO yes, coincidentally i met with Clive, another of my tutor. He's the Advertising, Art Direction and graphic design section of Visual Communication. Something i've always wanted to do. So i spoke to him and told him about my thoughts on Editorial and etc. He suggested i come join him and his group. So i gladly said thank you and i will :D

Everything was so smooth today Alhamdulillah. The few days ahead would be a bumpy road. With having to finish up my submission of FCUK to the D&AD competition. Freaking out?! hmm chill.

Anyways, have wrote quite a bit for tonight. Wonder if anyone ever reads them. hahaha. If you do, i thank you in advance ;)

have to pray my Isya' now.

salam!

p/s: Off to FOCUS ON IMAGING @ the NEC Birmingham. :) cant wait!!

No comments: