Saturday 7 November 2009

Rational over Emotions?


Hi there. Glad it's the weekend? Hope you are all in perfect health. What's new? Care to share?

Anyway I had my formal workcheck for the first time in Final Year in University. It was pretty nerve wrecking. Went for it at about 2pm today and had a good chat with Ros. She's an amazing person. She treats you not like a student, but more like a person who's wanting to do great great things. So the tutorial went on fine with us looking through my layout pads. I've done quite alot. But quality wise? I might've not. We discussed and discussed further what it means to have an emotional bond with the consumers using advertising.

My negotiated project, if I may explain is one of the modules I'm doing for final year. Basically we have the dissertation. 6,000 word essay and research. This particular module is IMHO a very important one. It lets you discover what you want to in context of advertising. For me, I wanted to learn more about how Emotions and Advertising go hand in hand. How did those wonderful and POWERFUL ads like Bernbach's VW ads from years ago were done? How did Sony come up with such an amazing feat with their Sony 'Balls'. Amazing stuff really. So for me, personally I wanted to see what I could find out.

The only problem is I sometimes know and not know what I'm talking about. I kinda get lost in the midst of it. There's a subtle line between what I'm supposed to be looking at and what I'm not. Like always i get myself tangled with Design and Advertising. Now, did you know these are two seperate things? I was watching Tim Brown's talk yesterday on TED online. Amazing talk. Pair that with a part from Phillipe Starck. It was truly something. But then, realising that it was all about design and how relevant it is to life itself, it wasn't about advertising.

Advertising is in a field of its own. Effectively harnessing emotions in advertising is like you having complete control. But I always look too much into research and facts. Perhaps I should start thinking as a human more than a designer. There's just so much I need to do now. Alot will be happening in the coming weeks. Parents are coming and I've got to balance out. It's not gonna be easy but i'll manage insyaAllah.

Difficult. True what Ros said early during the start of the semester. " Blood. Sweat. Tears ". It is all about how hungry you are and how far you want to go. I just need to pick myself up now. "Success is going from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm" Churchill said. I agree with him. So lets stop at that and I'll get on with my work.

By the way, in the picture above are Jon and Michelle. Met them just recently. Had a really fun photoshoot with them in the studio today. Haven't been in there for awhile. Was a little awkward with all the buttons and things. Anyway photos are up on flickr. Do have a look ;)

Hope you guys are having a wonderful weekend wherever you are. Do come and say hi once in a while. It kinda helps. Knowing that people care. =]

salam

No comments: